top of page

Kilgour - Longford

The earliest European land grant for the land 'Kilgour' sits on was made to William Woodard by Governor Macquarie in 1814. The main house (circa 1835) evolved out of an earlier cottage first built in the 1820s and is a double brick with stucco finish construction. A large one room addition to the right-hand side of the house was added in the early 1900s to house a full size billiards table. Kilgour particularly stands out due to its wooden Regency fretwork which frames three sides of the house.

​

There is nothing to conclusively date the construction of ‘Kilgour’ as we see it today, although it can be safely assumed that it was built prior to 1840 as the building appears in a painting of the town of Longford by Henry Mundy held by the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery, Launceston dated ‘prior to 1840’. When reviewing the interior style, a number of signs point to a construction date of around the late 1820s to mid 1830s.

​

Follow 'Kilgour' on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/kilgour_tasmania/

WHAT

Georgian Regency

WHERE

Longford, TAS

WHEN

1835

Contact Us

Historic Houses Association of Australia Limited
1A Carthona Avenue, Darling Point,

NSW, 2027 
enquiries@hha.net.au     02 9252 5554

  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Twitter Icon
  • White Instagram Icon

Join our mailing list

ABN: 40 282 275 317

© 2020 by Historic Houses Association of Australia Ltd

acnc-logo-768x767.png

The Historic Houses Association of Australia is an independent registered charity.

We rely on income from membership fees, donations, and revenue raised from our ticket sales.

bottom of page