top of page

Alloway Bank - Eglinton

Alloway Bank stands on the lands of the Wiradyuri Nation. In 1822 Governor Brisbane granted 2000 acres (809 ha) to Captain John Piper and his son John Jr.

Piper’s house was completed in 1829, with a dairy and flower gardens.

 

Piper was forced to sell to the Suttors (of Brucedale at Peel) in 1845; patriarch George Suttor died here in 1859. Alloway Bank was held by William Henry Suttor Sr (1805–1877) and Jr and other members of the family until 1888.

​

The house, rebuilt in 1872 was designed by architect Matthew Henry Sadleir (1836–1872). Bizarrely, the house had its second story with seven bedrooms and staircase removed in the early 20th century, and the entrance moved from west to south, so the house is now covered with a typical Edwardian gabled roof. The kitchen and bathrooms have been modernised. The stables and grooms’ quarters have been extended and altered, but the majority of the stalls are mostly intact, including the pebble floors, wooden feeding troughs and stall dividers.


The first Bathurst Races were held at Alloway Bank in 1833 and the first Bathurst Show held here in 1863.

WHAT

Villa Residence

WHERE

Eglinton, NSW

WHEN

1872

Contact Us

Historic Houses Association of Australia Limited
1A Carthona Avenue, Darling Point,

NSW, 2027 
enquiries@hha.net.au     02 9252 5554

  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Twitter Icon
  • White Instagram Icon

Join our mailing list

ABN: 40 282 275 317

© 2020 by Historic Houses Association of Australia Ltd

acnc-logo-768x767.png

The Historic Houses Association of Australia is an independent registered charity.

We rely on income from membership fees, donations, and revenue raised from our ticket sales.

bottom of page